|Photo from http://gomommygo.com|
Tiffini's hosting a 30 Day Challenge. She's challenged us to give something up that will make us better people -- feel better, look better, be better.
I'm giving up yelling. I don't feel good while I'm doing it. I'm probably not so attractive when I'm doing it. And doing it does not make me a better mom. Physically or emotionally.
For 30 days I will not yell at my children.
While I'm not sure this is entirely possible, I'm going to attempt it because well, I'm not sure that yelling is really communicating effectively the point I'm trying to make to my children. Plus, sometimes it makes them giggle (another clue that yelling does not become me, and in fact, may actually make me look funny).
So if any of you are non-yellers and employ other discipline tactics, I'm all ears. My plan so far consists of:
- Being in the same room when I'm talking to them
- To think first about what I want to convey instead of spouting off what comes to mind first
- To make eye-contact while I'm speaking.
- Following through with consequences immediately.
- Telling the kids about the challenge and give them each one goal to work towards, too.
- Celebrating our success at the end of each week with a special date with the kids.
So, that's the rough draft of the plan. I would love any input that you have to share!
Linking up with Tiffini today -- come join in!